04 February 2006

New Title, New Format, New Focus

The half-dozen or so of you who have actually read this previously are in for a few changes. I've changed the template for the blog (that much is obvious) but I'm also planning on changing the scope a bit. Whereas before I intended for this blog to be simply a collection of things I was interested in (and I'll still probably spend a lot of time doing that), I've decided that keeping a bit stricter focus will probably help to keep my interest here.

As of January, I have started back to my University education, seeking a degree in Biology from the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Since the evolution/creation "debate" is live and well around these parts, I figure it'll be an interesting perspective to see what it's actually like to major in the life sciences from a state university deep in the south, on a day-to-day basis. My plan is to include minor postings after virtually every class, just dealing with whatever we're studying at that particular moment.

My other focus here will be my ever-growing interest in craft beer. While beer reviews will still go to Beer Advocate, I hope to discuss my beer experiences here in at least a semi-rigorous way, posting what I'm drinking, why I drank it, and what pains I had to take to get it. Alabama has a long way to go to get to a real beer culture, and hopefully this blog will help to educate people about the struggles to get good beer into the state. Free the Hops is also an excellent, and much more important, resource in this regard.

That's all for now. There's a beer tasting in-town tonight, so hopefully I'll be able to post some info and some good pics sometime tomorrow.

No comments: