18 November 2009

Founder's Backwoods Bastard

Founders Backwoods Bastard (bottle)
Grand Rapids, MI
10.2% ABV

I'm going to play with some different ways to do this other than just cutting and pasting my BA review. Anyone with a BA account can look at my profile and read all of these, anyway.

Just picked this up from the store where I work and wanted to give it a shot. It was on the warm shelf so I stuck it in my fridge for about twenty minutes before popping the top. (Gotta love these new Founders non-threaded bottles.) Pours clean reddish-amber with a thick off-white head that sticks around for a while but eventually fades. Smells of caramel malt and some significant astringency, which is also borne out in the taste. Lots of malty esters in the flavor, with a dry astringency in the finish due to alcohol and a slight bite from the wood.

I'm not always a huge fan of bourbon-aged beers, but this one is really really drinkable, very clean and smooth. It seems a bit more like an Old Ale than a Scotch Ale to me, but it does have the kind of sweetness that you'd get from a Scotch rather than an Old.

I could definitely handle more of these.

My overall rating on BA: 4.4/5

No comments: