21 December 2009

Short's Uncle Steve's Irish Stout

Short's Uncle Steve's Irish Stout
Elk Rapids, MI
Unknown ABV

After work, errands, dinner, and more errands I was in no mood to take a second shot at Short's Mystery Stout, so instead I had a nice bottle of Uncle Steve's Irish Stout. I tend to not be a huge fan of massively dry beers, although I can recognize the beauty of the style, so I didn't exactly have massively high hopes. Most dry stouts are almost oppressively dry, but this one has some nice sweet maltiness and strong notes of caramelized malt up-front before hitting you with a relatively mild dryness. It's really a pretty well-balanced beer, and would make a pretty good intro to dry stouts for those who can't handle Guinness.

The color on this one's a little light, more a dark brown than black, and the head is pretty minuscule, but I can overlook that. I could definitely put back a few of these if I was in a place to do so.

I wish I had more to say, but really... meh. It's a good beer, likely a nice session choice, but nothing that really demands my detailed attention.

My overall BA rating: 4.05/5

No comments: