04 April 2008

Beer Review, Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout

Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout

I bought four of these a while back and never bothered to review one. I believe I picked them up from Strong Bros. in Fayetteville, but I may be mistaken. Anyway:

Appearance: Pure black body, completely nonexistent head. This beer is so dark it's completely opaque, even when held up to a strong light source. 4.0/5

Smell: Strong notes of coffee and chocolate. Slight astringency in the aroma, notes of hops and malt far underneath. I let this warm for a bit before tasting -- in the aroma it reminds me a bit of Rogue Shakespeare. 3.5/5

Taste: Nutty, malty, hints of that wooden barrel way down deep. Slightly sweet, very dry, but finishes smooth. It may just be the wood, but it reminds me more of a brown ale than a stout. 3.0/5


Mouthfeel: Thin, watery. Not nearly as high-quality as I'd expect from such a high-alcohol (and high-priced!) beer. Carbonation minimal, slight notes of hops on tongue. Foams a bit upon swishing over the palate. 2.0/5

Drinkability: Goes down clean, and the alcohol is mostly masked by the flavors in the beer. Deceptively easy to drink, overall a decent swiller but nothing worth going out of your way for. 3.5/5

No comments: