16 August 2008

Beer Review, He'Brew Genesis 10:10

Schmaltz Brewing Company He'Brew Genesis 10:10

Limited Release, brewed in 2006, no longer brewed

Appearance: Orange, almost brown body with a large-bubbled head that is only slightly off white. Head sticks around, leaves some lacing. 4.0/5

Smell: Very fruity, apples, oranges, lots of citrus. Makes me think of a weak orange juice. A bit of tart from the yeast, perhaps? Yes, definitely yeasty, a touch of hops. Invigorating, interesting, makes me want to know more... 4.5/5

Taste: The fruitiness is pronounced in the taste as well as the nose, but the oranges take a back seat to the apples. A touch of bite from the hops, a nicely warming sensation from the alcohol, and an overall sweet apply fruitiness that I like quite a bit, almost despite myself. Finishes dry but clean, leaves the palate wanting more. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Moderate thickness on the beer, chewy (presumably) due to suspended yeast in the bottle. Nice for style, enjoyable. 4.0/5

Drinkability: I am usually not at all a fan of fruit/vegetable beers, but this one is pretty stand out. I'd think of it more of a slightly citrusy IPA or DIPA as opposed to a regular fruit beer. Highly enjoyable, worth the trouble to seek out, although since it's not brewed anymore I guess I'll just have to content myself with this one bottle. 4.5/5

Overall: 4.35/5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel. This is Zak from Shmaltz Brewing Co. Thanks so much for the review of the Genesis 10:10. You're a lucky man to track down a bottle. Were you able to pick up any aged qualities? The beer's probably been bottle aging for about 2 years now. L'Chaim!