07 January 2009

Beer Review, Penn Weizen

Pennsylvania Brewing Company Penn Weizen
Pittsburgh, PA
5% ABV

Well, shiver me timbers, it's a real-life American-made hefeweizen.

Appearance: Very cloudy yellow, slightly orange. Opaque even to direct light sources. Has a thick foamy head that sticks around and leaves significant lacing. 4.5/5

Smell: Yeah, it's a real hefe. Strong German yeastiness on the nose, hints of cloves and thick aromas of banana. Some citrus way down deep. 4.0/5

Taste: Sweet with a slight hint of orange rind up front, very dry and yeasty in the middle, with a bit of a tart finish. The citrus is complex and intriguing, and overall leaves me wanting more. Very good flavor. 4.0/5

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly chewy. The way a German hefe should be. 4.5/5

Drinkability: It's not the equal of my favorite hefeweizen, but it's definitely in the same ball park. I opened this expecting a dumbed-down American Wheat, and simply on that basis I must say I'm really impressed. This is a truly effective technically-accomplished German hefeweizen, and any fan of the style should at least give it a try. 4.5/5

Overall 4.2/5

No comments: