14 February 2009

Beer Review, David Bell is 21 Ale

Bell's David Bell is 21 Ale
Kalamazoo, MI
Unknown ABV

Appearance: Beautiful orange-red body, slightly translucent, with a very thick foamy white head. Yeast particles suspended in the body, frozen as if in amber. Significant lacing. I never thought I'd do this for an amber, but I'm giving it a 5. 5.0/5

Smell: Sweet, malty. Hints of cherries, strong aromas of apples. Strong yeastiness buried underneath. Very intriguing, can't wait to taste it. 4.5/5

Taste: Drier than expected, but with a sweet finish, lots of apples. Some yeast in the aftertaste. Not as good as the nose would lead me to believe, but still a very good amber. 4.0/5

Mouthfeel: Thin, actually, with a fairly high dose of hops and carbonation. I expected it to be a bit chewier, but this is actually pretty well-done for an amber. 4.0/5

Drinkability: From the appearance and the aroma I expected this one to knock me on my ass, but ultimately this is a merely (merely?) a very good amber. If you can get it it's definitely worth a try, but these limited releases generally don't last very long. 4.0/5

Overall: 4.3/5

No comments: