10 May 2010

Heavy Seas The Big DIPA

Heavy Seas The Big DIPA (bottle)
Baltimore, MD
10.6% ABV

Not much to say about this one except that I've been a bit iffy on Heavy Seas beers up to now, but I'm definitely in the mood for a great Imperial IPA. The name "Big DIPA" is just silly enough to be funny, too.

Looks orange/red, hazy, with a thick beige head. Head is thick and foamy. Nice presentation. Smells strongly bitter with hops, with just a hint of grapefruit notes for balance.

Flavor is very much what a standard DIPA should be. Strong crisp hoppy notes predominate, with some fruitiness and citrus underneath. Grapefruit, hints of lemon. A hint of yeastiness on the backend, and a quite dry finish. Mouthfeel is thick, with heavy hops and heavy carbonation. Still goes down smooth.

How do I like it overall? It's quite a nice DIPA, certainly worthy of the title, and worth the $6.99 for the 22oz bottle I paid for this one. Is it the greatest DIPA I've had? No, but it's definitely worth a try for hop-heads like me.

My overall BA rating: 4.1/5

No comments: