25 May 2010

Lazy Magnolia Reb Ale

Lazy Magnolia Reb Ale (bottle)
Kiln, MS
5.4% ABV

I actually read the bottle as "Lazy Magnolia Red Ale" when purchasing, thinking I was going to be getting a nice amber. It's a pale, though, and I have to admit that a beer from Mississippi calling itself a "reb" is somewhat bothersome. The label references the American rebellion against England, and mentions the State of Jones, which alleviates the bother somewhat. But still.

Doesn't really matter if the beer is good. Let's taste it.

Pours light orange, very transparent, with a very thick white foamy head. Head sticks around nicely and gives some lacing. Lots of effervescence from the bottom of the glass. Smells very hoppy, lots of pine notes with a bit of yeasty dryness. Some sweetness.

Flavor has a lot of hoppy bitterness, more yeast than expected, especially with a beer that's so clear. Hints of vanilla on the back of the palate. Lots of citrus character. I find it a bit cloying as I get to the bottom of the glass.

(I just looked on BA, and this beer is classified as an American Pale Wheat Ale there. Checking with the Lazy Magnolia website, wheat is listed as an ingredient in this beer. The wheat could absolutely be causing that dryness and vanilla-ish flavor, although I never would have imagined it would. Very interesting, and worth a half-point in the rating.)

Mouthfeel is moderate, with heavy carbonation and moderate-to-heavy hops. Coats the palate.

So how do I feel about this brew? It's pretty good, but I would definitely get tired of it quickly. Despite the interesting notes caused by the wheat, the flavor's a bit one-note and the dryness gets tiresome pretty quickly. Definitely an interesting beer, but not an altogether successful one, in my humble opinion.

My overall BA rating: 3.9/5

No comments: