02 June 2010

My Homebrew: Abbey Ale

I actually brewed this on May 27, as any of you who might have been reading my Twitter would probably already know, but I forgot to do the formal write-up of my recipe and such.

10 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb Belgian Biscuit Malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Belgian Special B Malt
1 oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (30 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (15 min)
White Labs Abbey Ale Yeast (WLP530)

The wort ended up a tad bit on the dark side, which is probably a sign that I used too much chocolate malt. I'll cut back to half a pound if I make a similar batch again. I probably mashed with just a tad too much water, as my gravity reading was only 1.055, a bit below my target. Oh well, it smelled good when I was boiling and I'll bet it turns out fine.

I'm thinking I may do a DIPA next and let it age while I'm in Prague for July. Always open to suggestions, though....

No comments: