25 March 2010

Saugatuck Singapore IPA

Saugatuck Singapore IPA
Douglas, MI
7.0% ABV

Not much commentary here. I've heard good things about the brewery, and I'm in the mood for a nice IPA. How's this beer?

Pours a nice copper color into my glass, very clear with only a slight haze, with a thick slightly off-white head that sticks around on the top of the glass. Head is foamy and somewhat bubbly. Appetizing. Has a strong crisp hop aroma, Chinook maybe? Very West-Coast, but definitely not a C-hop. Underneath there's a nice orangey citrus component, sweet and malty. Again, very inviting.

Flavor is similar. Strong bitter hops, not overpowering but with that almost soapy quality, with a sweet orangey malt backbone. Hints of yeast underneath. Finishes dry. Mouthfeel is moderately thick, with heavy hops (obviously) and a moderate carbonation.

Overall, I like this beer, but it does get a little monotonous over time. Again, I've heard good things about the brewery, and I'd recommend this beer, but probably not one of my all-time favorites.

My overall BA rating: 4.1/5

No comments: