28 March 2010

Short's The Magician Dark Red London-Style Ale

Short's The Magician (bottle)
Elk Rapids, MI
6.0% ABV

Yeah, I'm still using BeerAdvocate for my reviews. Still feeling ambivalent about it.

I reviewed all eight of Short's limited release bottles over the winter holidays, so when we got Short's newest year-round bottle released I knew I had to try it. This is my fourth bottle out of the sixer, and while it's a good brew, I don't think it quite lives up to the excellence of some of their other beers, in particular the Huma-Lupa Licious and the Soft Parade.

Pours dark reddish/amber with a very thick creamy brownish head. Clear body, but dark. Very interesting and inviting.

Smells very much like a traditional amber, but with a grainy fruitiness that adds complexity. Slight tartness and hints of sourness, not a lactic sourness or even a bretty sourness but just a traditional microbrewed Amber sour aroma.

Flavor is sweet, very grainy and bready, with a dry aftertaste and finish. Sourness is only present in the nose.

Mouthfeel moderately thick, creamy, with low carbonation and only a hint of hoppiness.

Overall quite drinkable, a decent beer, easy to consume, and worth the cost of the ten-dollar sixer. Overall I just don't have a lot to say.

My overall BA rating: 3.8/5

No comments: