23 April 2010

Big Sky IPA

Big Sky IPA
Missoula, MN
6.2% ABV

Big Sky has only recently become available in this part of Michigan. Moose Drool is the one that gets all the attention, but I'm not really a fan. Their IPA is pretty nice, though, from the couple of bottles I had last night hanging out.

Very clear body, dark amber, thick off-white foamy head. Smells sweet, with strong earthy high-alpha acid hops which will form the soul of this beer. I can't quite identify the hop variety, but I'd love to, as I want to make a beer with the same kind of hop quality. Aroma also has hints of grapefruit.

Flavor is sugary, grainy, with an interesting malt profile that then gives way to an intense earthy hoppiness afterward. Lots of citrus, especially grapefruit. Slight dryness on the finish. Mouthfeel is thin-to-moderate, with a heavy hoppiness (of course) and a moderate carbonation.

Overall, I really like this IPA. The earthiness and grapefruit this this one a complexity that I didn't anticipate, which definitely differentiates it from the whole run of American IPAs that, while great, can definitely feel repetitive.

My overall BA rating: 4.1/5

No comments: