19 November 2008

Beer Review, Bell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Winter White Ale
Comstock, MI

Appearance: Slightly hazy but bright yellow body, thin white head. Some effervescence in the glass, moderate carbonation, overall very much to be expected for the style. 4.0/5

Smell: Sweet, spicy. A lot of yeast present in the nose, smells a bit subdued for a witbier, more like an American Wheat. No hops or malt present in the nose. Overall, it's pretty nice. 3.5/5

Taste: Very sweet up-front, hints of the spices that make this a witbier, but to me they're fairly unidentifiable. No hops or malts present in the flavor, finishes clean but with a bit of a sweet aftertaste. Overall a pretty nice witbier for my taste, as I'm not always a big fan of the ones that have the spices way up front. 4.0/5

Mouthfeel: Just a notch above thin, leaves a bit of a coating on the palate. Not unpleasant, pretty much on-point for the style. 4.0/5

Drinkability: I like this beer a lot more than I thought I would. It's very drinkable, so much so that I could consider buying a whole sixer of these. Possibly my favorite wit, something I wouldn't have expected from an American-made beer. 4.5/5

Overall: 3.95/5

No comments: