10 November 2008

Well, That's a Reason Not to Get a Job....

Those of you who know me in real life are aware that although I've been in Kalamazoo for about five weeks now, I have yet to find employment. Not, of course, for lack of trying.

So. Last Thursday I had an interview with a certain major home electronics retailer for a holiday position. I thought the interview went pretty well -- although I'm not sure how happy I'd be working for said retailer, I figured I could handle it for the six weeks or so until the Christmas season was over no matter what. The interview went at least fairly well in my opinion, so it was a bit of a surprise when I got an email from the store:

We have reviewed your credentials and at the present time, we are unable to match your qualification and experience with an open position. You are welcome to apply again after
60 days have passed from the date that you completed our application.

Thank you for your interest in our organization and we wish you continued success in your job search.

Well, whatever. I guess they found someone with more direct experience in their subfield. Except, well...

Nov. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Circuit City Stores Inc., the 59-year- old seller of televisions and computers, filed for bankruptcy protection, becoming the biggest retail casualty of the slowing U.S. economy and frozen credit markets.

The chain sought Chapter 11 protection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Richmond, Virginia, today after suppliers concerned about declining sales at almost 1,500 U.S. and Canadian stores cut off credit and demanded up-front cash for shipments. The company owes $119 million to Hewlett-Packard Co., the world's largest maker of personal computers, and $116 million to Samsung Electronics Co., the top maker of flat-panel displays, according to a filing.

So I'm thinking that my failure to be employed had less to do with me and more to do with that quarter of a billion dollars or so the company owes to bigger fish.

I have another interview tomorrow, so hopefully this time next week I'll be gainfully employed.

No comments: