22 January 2010

Fuller's London Porter

Fuller's London Porter (can)
5.4% ABV
London, England

My store had these for $6.99 a four-pack. How could I resist? I've had this beer a few times, loved it, but never reviewed it. Time to bring out the tasting notes....

Hard to pour into a snifter from a can. Anyway. Coming from the can the liquid is a muddy brown, but it settles into a nice dark roasted color in the glass, opaque but with a somewhat "thin" look. A thick foam settles on top and sticks around. About as nice a presentation as one could ask for.

Aroma is sweet, chocolatey, lots of black patent malt. Hints of dryness, slightly oaty, maybe even a touch of astringency. Approachable. Flavor is similar, lots of roasted malts with a significant astringency on the backend. Slightly sweet in the aftertaste, lots of licorice. Mouthfeel is moderate-to-thick, with a mild carbonation that tickles the tongue.

Overall this is a very nice, even a world-class English Porter. Not that I'm saying anything new about the beer. I'd love to be able to get this on cask one day.

My overall BA rating: 4.2/5

No comments: