11 January 2010

Short's The Liberator Double IPA

Short's The Liberator Double IPA (bottle)
Elk Rapids, MI
7.4% ABV

This took a lot longer than I expected, but other than me re-drink of the Mystery Stout, this is the last of the Short's Limited Series for this year. Apparently they're planning on doing this every year with new beers, so it'd be fun to try to make a review of a series of limited brews part of my yearly December tradition.

Anyway. I've saved the Liberator for the end because I really love the Huma-Lupa-Licious, and I figured their DIPA would be just as good. The verdict? Well....

The Liberator is a bit one-note, a strong crisp hoppiness followed by a nice wallop of citrus -- the bottle says this is a "Double IPA with Lemon and Orange Zest," and it's actually quite accurate. The hops and the citrus actually balance each other quite well, but I wouldn't exactly call this an amazingly complex beer. Body is hazy orange/yellow, with a very minimal head that dissipates almost immediately. Any fan of DIPAs should check this out, although it's not my all-time favorite DIPA.

My overall BA rating: 4.15/5

No comments: