24 January 2010

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (2009)

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (bottle)
Chicago, IL
13.0% ABV
2009 bottling

My 400th BA review. I always like to have a "special" beer for these kinds of milestones, and when I realized it was creeping up on me I also realized that I had three bottles of Bourbon County Stout in my stash, patiently awaiting review....

Pours thick black body with a thin brown head that dissipates quickly. Smells strongly astringent, lots of alcohol with a sweet malty character underneath. Significant roasted malts with just a touch of dry hops. Hints of chocolate and subtle but strong notes of coffee.

Flavor is rich and complex, lots of dark roastiness and a significant presence of chocolate-covered cherries. Some alcohol astringency that burns on the way down the gullet. Finishes sweet with coffee and chocolate, leaves an astringent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and luxurious, leaving a significant oiliness on the tongue. Overall drinkability is amazing considering the high ABV. At eleven dollars a bottle I wouldn't buy this often, but I'd buy it -- this is one of the few beers I could see actually being worth that kind of cost.

My overall BA rating: 4.35/5

No comments: